Daily TIP

Shin Bet busts Hezbollah cells in West Bank

Posted by Tip Staff - August 16, 2016


 
The Shin Bet announced on Tuesday that it had broken two separate Hezbollah recruiting rings in the West Bank over the past several months. One of the cells was based in Qalqilya, a city in the northern West Bank, and was planning to attack an IDF patrol in the area before its members were arrested this past June. They were given instructions via Facebook by Unit 133, Hezbollah’s foreign operations division, to carry out terrorist attacks and recruit other individuals to Hezbollah. Three West Bank Palestinians were separately charged after having been recruited by a Gaza-based Hezbollah recruiter. One of the men arrested was Osama Najm, who was one of the student founders of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a terrorist organization. Najm was paid $900 for organizing attacks against Israeli targets, including a suicide bombing on a bus, and recruiting more people to Hezbollah. Another recruit was instructed to carry out a shooting attack against Israeli forces stationed in Jenin, in the northern West Bank. Hezbollah has also made attempts to recruit Israeli Arabs via Facebook."Hezbollah has made intensive efforts to recruit activists from Israel, Judea, Samaria and the Gaza Strip to carry out terrorist attacks against Israeli targets," the Shin Bet said in a statement. "In recent years Hezbollah's Unit 133 has been trying to establish terrorist infrastructure in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, thus far, without any success."Hezbollah and Iran have also been working to entrench themselves on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights. In December 2014, Hezbollah-affiliated terrorist Samir Kuntar, who was imprisoned for decades for the murder of an Israeli father and his four-year-old daughter in 1979, was assassinated after reportedly working to build up Hezbollah’s attack capacity on the Golan. The following month, an Israeli airstrike killed Iranian and Hezbollah commanders who were attempting to establish terrorist infrastructure there.
Another Iran-backed jihadist organization, Harakat al-Sabirin, announced in January that it had extended operations into the West Bank and Jerusalem. The group, whose flag is nearly identical to Hezbollah’s, took credit for detonating an IED near an IDF patrol on the Israel-Gaza border last December.

 

The White House’s failure to ensure that the nuclear deal with Iran did not prevent the Islamic Republic from building new nuclear power plants has come under heavy fire from both Democratic and Republican politicians in the past few days.After top Iranian nuclear official Ali Salehi announced last Thursday that Iran would spend $10 billion on the construction of two nuclear power plants, a State Department source admitted to the Washington Free Beacon that the nuclear deal “does not prevent Iran from pursuing new light-water reactors.”
That stance is “absurd [and] preposterous,” former Rep. Shelley Berkley (D-Nev.) told The Tower.
Iran has continued in its aggression since the signing of the nuclear deal. It has increased its development of advanced ballistic missiles, its support for the mass-murdering Assad regime in Syria, and has taken American citizens hostage. There is simply no way that this behavior, and the missile development in particular, is consistent with an Iranian interest in pursuing a nuclear program for peaceful purposes.

Berkley is on the board of directors of The Israel Project, which publishes The Tower.
Sen. Ted Cruz (R – Texas) made similar remarks to the Free Beacon last week:
Nothing in the behavior of the Iranian regime in the year since the [deal] went into effect should give us any confidence that they will be confining their nuclear program to peaceful activities. Secretary Kerry seems to think that the mullahs are interested in curing cancer and civilian energy production, but their rapid progress in ballistic missile technology suggests they are far more determined to develop the nuclear weapons these projectiles are designed to deliver. (via TheTower.org)

 
A group of researchers from Tel Aviv University and Harvard University is proposing a new non-invasive method to prevent burn-related hypertrophic scars — raised tissue caused by excessive collagen — using short, pulsed electric fields. “People don’t die from scars, but they do suffer from them,” said Dr. Alexander Golberg of TAU’s Porter School of Environmental Studies. “We believe that the technology we developed, called partial irreversible electroporation (pIRE), can be used to prevent debilitating burn scars from forming.” According to the World Health Organization, 10 percent of all unintentional-injury deaths result from burns. But even for those who survive the destruction of skin and tissue cells, post-burn scarring creates lifelong physical, psychological and social suffering. The experimental pIRE technique harnesses microsecond-pulsed, high-voltage, non-thermal electric fields to control the body’s natural response to trauma — the proliferation of collagen cells that cause permanent scarring at the site of injury. The technique was applied to burn injuries in rats during five therapy sessions over the course of six months. Using an imaging technique developed at the Wellman Center of Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, the researchers assessed the treated wounds and found a 57.9% reduction of the scar area in comparison with untreated scars. (via Israel21c)

 


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.