Daily TIP

Former IDF general warns of unprecedented barrage of Hezbollah rockets in future war

Posted by Tip Staff - June 15, 2016

 

The former head of the IDF Home Front Command warned Israelis on Tuesday that they should expect a massive barrage of rockets from Hezbollah in the next war. Major General (res.) Yitzhak Gershon, who served in that position during the Second Lebanon War in 2006, told Israel’s Army Radio, “In the Second Lebanon War, the record was 160 rockets in a day [fired] at the northern region, we need to expect up to 1,200 rockets in a day – it will be a completely different scenario from anything we’ve known.”  Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed terrorist group based in Lebanon, has an arsenal of more than 130,000 rockets, more than all NATO countries, excluding the U.S., combined. This number includes long-range rockets and M-600 ballistic missiles, which carry a high payload and would be able to “wipe out a good chunk of Times Square and maim and kill people four football fields away from the point of impact.”  Hezbollah has approximately 100,000 short-range rockets trained on schools, homes, and hospitals in northern Israel that would unleash chaos and potentially kill hundreds of Israeli civilians. Geoff Corn, an international military law expert, explained the difficult choices Israeli officers face when Hezbollah purposefully places such weaponry in civilian areas. If Israel were to strike in this instance, he concluded that “both legally and morally, the cause of these tragic consequences will lie solely at the feet of Hezbollah.” Because of this, Corn said, “Hezbollah should be pressured starting today to avoid locating such vital military assets among civilians.” Otherwise “the instinctual condemnation of Israel will only encourage continuation of these illicit tactics.”

In a New York Times article in May 2015, Israeli military officials detailed how Hezbollah has “moved most of its military infrastructure” in and around Shiite villages in southern Lebanon, which “amounts to using the civilians as a human shield.” One official stated that Lebanese civilians are “living in a military compound.” He told the Times: “We will hit Hezbollah hard, while making every effort to limit civilian casualties as much as we can…We do not intend to stand by helplessly in the face of rocket attacks.” Willy Stern, a journalist and adjunct professor at Vanderbilt Law School, who was shown maps of the locations of Hezbollah weapons, wrote that they are not only being stored in these southern villages, but in Beirut itself.

 

A senior Hamas official with extensive knowledge of the terrorist organization’s network of tunnels has surrendered to Israel, Haaretz reported Tuesday, citing reports from Fatah-affiliated websites.

Bassam Mahmoud Baraka, the son of a Hamas-affiliated religious judge, is said to have turned himself in to Israeli authorities at the border fence between Gaza and Israel while carrying a laptop. He reportedly told his family that he was leaving to run errands and never returned. The Red Cross has informed his family that he was in Israeli custody, the reports added.

The Fatah-affiliated websites mocked Hamas for allowing its operatives — especially those with knowledge of the terrorist group’s network of tunnels — to fall into Israeli hands. Baraka is the fourth Hamas official or operative reported to be in Israeli custody since April. Israel’s internal security service announced in May that it had captured Mahmoud Atawnah, a senior Hamas tunnel expert who had crossed into Israel to carry out a terrorist attack, as well as an unnamed teen who also had knowledge of the tunnels, the previous month. The Shin Bet revealed earlier this month that another teen with knowledge of the tunnels had been captured. The second teen described a network of tunnels that allows Hamas terrorists to travel throughout the Gaza Strip underground.

Israel has announced the discovery of two Hamas terror tunnels that breached Israeli territory in the past two months.

During Operation Protective Edge in 2014, which was launched in response to Hamas’ continued rocket fire, the IDF discovered and destroyed at least 34 tunnels in Gaza. Hamas killed several Israeli soldiers through its use of cross-border tunnels, includingfive soldiers in Israeli territory near Kibbutz Nahal Oz. The IDF explained that Hamas intended to use the tunnels “to carry out attacks such as abductions of Israeli civilians and soldiers alike; infiltrations into Israeli communities, mass murders and hostage-taking scenarios.”

Palestinians in Gaza have recently expressed fears that Hamas tunnels built in or near civilian areas are putting non-combatants at risk of being hurt by Israeli strikes. “I am sure, one million percent, that those with tunnels under their houses cannot sleep, or taste the joy of life,” one anonymous 42-year-old woman in Gaza told The New York Times.

According to the United Nations, only 23% of Palestinian homes that were destroyed during the war have been reconstructed. Israel has accused Hamas of confiscating 95% of the cement entering Gaza, diverting it from civilian reconstruction and using it to build its tunnels instead. The Gaza-based terrorist group has invested heavily in expanding and building its network of tunnels since the 2014 conflict. Hamas reportedly spendshundreds of thousands of dollars each month and employs more than a thousand operatives “24 hours a day, six days a week” to build tunnels. “We have a Gaza City under the ground, and we have nothing up here,” a 23-year-old Gazan who lives in a mobile home told The New York Times in May.

Gen. Yossi Kuperwasser, formerly the head of the research division of Israeli military intelligence and later the director general of the Ministry of Strategic Affairs, told reporters weeks earlier that the discovery of the tunnels was a sign that Hamas was preparing for another war against Israel. He added that the tunnel digging means that “they definitely invest a lot in making the necessary preparations so that in the next round, when they decide to start it, they will be able to inflict the heaviest damage on Israel, including through those tunnels.” (via TheTower.org)

 
Instead of nagging their kids to go outside and play, 10,000 Israeli mothers are setting an example by playing cachibol (also called Newcomb) in a national league network called Mamanet. Joining a team based in her child’s school, each Mamanet player gets to know other moms in a totally different setting than class trips or PTA meetings. Established in 2005 by Kfar Saba mother of two Ofra Abramovich, Mamanet has become Israel’s largest social sports project and has inspired the creation of Abbanet for players’ husbands and partners, and Kidnet vacation tournaments for their children. “Instead of being the ‘soccer mom’ who drives her children to practice and cheers them on by the sidelines, the mother becomes the star of the game, and the children become her fans,” says Abramovich. “This allows the mother to serve as a role model for good sportsmanship, dedication to a team and commitment to physical exercise.” Thousands of mothers in Italy, Austria, Cyprus, Spain, Canada, Belgium, France, Bulgaria and the United States are adopting this unique Israeli model. Mamanet’s second international conference in Eilat is planned for this October. (via Israel21c)
 


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.